Why a Carbon Monoxide Detector Is Essential in Winter

Carbon Monoxide Detector

On average, over 50,000 Americans visit the emergency room each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s a common and highly dangerous issue. Unfortunately, the risk of exposure to carbon monoxide increases during the winter months. The coldest months of the year are when it is most important to ensure you have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home.

Winter is hard enough to get through with the added stress of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are a few reasons why you should be taking steps to protect your family during this time of year is so dangerous:

Firing up the Fireplace

It’s fun to sit near the fireplace with a good book and some hot chocolate. But as relaxing as that seems, it can become a dangerous situation if your chimney gets blocked up. Many people use fireplaces so rarely that they don’t think about the steps involved in proper maintenance. This can lead to smoke escaping into your house instead of up the chimney.

A carbon monoxide detector allows you to roast chestnuts over the fire without fear of any deadly gases entering your house.

Overworking Your Water Heater

One of the best ways to warm up during the winter is with a nice, hot bath or shower. All your hot showers can overwork your water heater, though. Even if your shower habits don’t change when the temperature drops, your water heater is still under extra stress. Because the outside ground is extra cold, the water coming into your house must be heated more than during the warmer months.

Worn out water heaters are one of the most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning. The extra stress on your water heater can cause it to wear out faster. Your carbon monoxide detector will allow you to continue taking your hot showers, while also keeping your family protected.

Idling Cars in the Garage

It’s tough to leave for work in the morning when the temperatures outside are below freezing. Many people start their cars and let them heat up for a few minutes before hitting the road. If your car sits in the garage, this can lead to exhaust fumes getting trapped. These fumes can leak into your house, especially if you have an attached garage.

A carbon monoxide detector installed in or near your garage is the safest way to eliminate the danger from idling cars. You’ll get through the winter worry-free.

Extra Time Indoors

The people most at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning are children and elderly people. When temperatures outside are dangerously cold, these people tend to spend extra time inside. This can increase the likelihood of exposure to this poisonous gas.

It’s important to watch for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning among your vulnerable family members during the Winter, but the safest way to protect your family is to install carbon monoxide detectors that are well-maintained and up-to-date.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *